Search This Blog

Friday, June 19, 2009

Coming Out of an Artistic Slump?

Artists' block, lately, I think. Just struggling to make anything (notice the focus on product rather than process?--that's always a red flag, for me).

The Collage Every Day got me out of one rut and into another--once I was done creating THE COLLAGE, every day, then I was finished.

Very tired, lately--Missed taking my medication for a few nights, and that always causes problems.

I'd sit out here in the studio and look at other people's artwork and feel as though my work could never be that good...

Six sentences into this post, and it's obvious that I was suffering from some kind of creative block. Focusing on product, comparing myself to others, and feeling that I was done being creative for the day...

I've had ideas for new paintings swirling around in my head for a month, now, but felt so intimidated at the thought of putting paint on canvas. Well, today I worked my way through it, and started four new pieces, worked on two older pieces, and just generally had fun in the studio. I even did some finger painting--talk about freeing myself from expectations!

Pictures to come soon, I promise. Things have been so busy around here--Joel's had football and/or baseball two or three times a day--baseball games on Saturdays and Sundays--he's gone to Ventura this weekend for a baseball tourney. Katie leaves for a week camping at the beach on Sunday. Jenny spent the night at a friend's house, and then had the friend over here for the night. I've been frustrated with my house, which seems to spawn collections of dirty laundry and used dishes on every horizontal surface in every room--how does that happen, anyhow?

Katie began the process for her braces yesterday, and her poor mouth is swollen and she's hurting--

Just too much going on, but amidst all this chaos, art is starting to happen again, I promise!

P.S. Richard bought two bags of sweet corn from the stand down in town that always has such amazing corn, so we're grilling hamburgers and having corn on the cob and salad for dinner tonight! Yum.

8 comments:

Ascender Rises Above said...

yes. sigh; glad you got out of yours!
what time is dinner again?

Anonymous said...

Yay, pictures soon. And get those adorable kids to help with the laundry and dishes, eh? It's not just your job. :)

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

I hear you about the Artistic slump. I have been in one too for a few weeks. Glad you got thru yours. Makes me feel like there is hope for me too.

Anonymous said...

I've come to learn that these artistic slumps can actually be a very fertile fallow time. There's more happening then you think.

Olivia said...

I am currently listening to a Clarissa Pinkola Estes Cd about how creativity runs in cycles, and that this is natural. It may be more apparent because you are trying to be more regular in your work?!? Peace, love, and an up cycle, O

Poetic Artist said...

Yes artistic slump..Hate it..I always do the same look at other artist and think I can not do that.
Hope you get creative and I have looked at your work and it is great.
Katelen

Janet said...

Your work is some of the art I look at late at night and think "I can't do that!" We all think someone else is doing better art than we are but the truth is we're all just doing our own thing. I love your art and I hope your artistic slump is over. Looking forward to seeing the new paintings.

Paula In Pinetop said...

Oh the slump is tough. What you wrote described me to a "T". dang...

I'm getting ready for a show this coming weekend and just don't think making art is in the stars for me this week.

Keep your fingers crossed out there in blogland.....I NEED success right now.