Search This Blog

Monday, June 02, 2008

Altered Photo


This is an old photo, a duplicate of one that I took in 1988. I pulled it out the other day when I was trying to get back in the "play" mode--I was thinking I would make something that I could copy and use as decorative paper in my journal...

This used techniques that I first learned in Karen Michel's book, The Complete Guide to Altered Imagery.

To begin, I dampened the surface of the photo with water. Then I took some sandpaper and sanded the photo, concentrating on the areas that I thought were less interesting, which in this case was pretty much the whole photo except for a spot that had a purple-tinged sun glare on the upper right side. I went back in and colored on the photo watercolors, and voila!

Very fun, and best of all, there's no 'right' or 'wrong'.

1 comment:

Lynn Cohen said...

What was the photo before you started? Hard to see what it was you altered. Can we have a before and after shot?
Nice colors.