Search This Blog

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Creative today


I had this same "problem" last year during Creative Every Day, though it's really not a problem, it's a good thing.

Once I make this commitment, I explode with ideas and experiments, so much so that I have trouble finishing something to share. Today I worked on laminating scraps of text to a piece of plastic, then peeling it off (what will I use it for? I don't know, but it's very cool--I remember I got in trouble once in sixth grade for doing this same thing--Mrs. Bacon said I was wasting Elmer's glue), and I printed the Waterboy out on wc paper, put a wash of transparent paint over it, colored it with colored pencils, and then overprinted it again. Of course, the ink ran out in one printer, and in switching printers I screwed up the registration. But it's an interesting idea. I ordered some InkAid so that I can print on papers that are normally too absorbent to use with an inkjet printer. Until it comes, though, I'm experimenting with everything else.

If I were to do this print over, I'd put a bit of whitewas behind the boy's body and face. I want the text to come through, but not so much. Of course, since this is from a book published in 1854, the paper is VERY absorbent as well.

All three kids will be in school on Monday--a whole day in the studio with no helpers...hmmm.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

mrs bacon... chuckle! if she only knew it helped you become an artist!

Jessie said...

your creative process fascinates me. and thank god mrs. bacon is no longer in your teacher! :)-

Anonymous said...

Argh! These teachers who stifle creativity and imagination with their "wasting glue" thinking. I wonder how many inventors and artists were squashed instead of encouraged by narrow thinking educators? Sigh.