Saturday, August 18, 2007
I had this same "problem" last year during Creative Every Day, though it's really not a problem, it's a good thing.
Once I make this commitment, I explode with ideas and experiments, so much so that I have trouble finishing something to share. Today I worked on laminating scraps of text to a piece of plastic, then peeling it off (what will I use it for? I don't know, but it's very cool--I remember I got in trouble once in sixth grade for doing this same thing--Mrs. Bacon said I was wasting Elmer's glue), and I printed the Waterboy out on wc paper, put a wash of transparent paint over it, colored it with colored pencils, and then overprinted it again. Of course, the ink ran out in one printer, and in switching printers I screwed up the registration. But it's an interesting idea. I ordered some InkAid so that I can print on papers that are normally too absorbent to use with an inkjet printer. Until it comes, though, I'm experimenting with everything else.
If I were to do this print over, I'd put a bit of whitewas behind the boy's body and face. I want the text to come through, but not so much. Of course, since this is from a book published in 1854, the paper is VERY absorbent as well.
All three kids will be in school on Monday--a whole day in the studio with no helpers...hmmm.