Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

SX 70 Manipulations


I recently purchased copies of Polaroid Manipulations: A Complete Visual Guide to Creating SX-70, Transfer, and Digital Prints by Kathleen Thormod Carr--one for me and one for my best friend (an artist/photographer who lives in Michigan which is way too far away but that's another story)--wonderful book. I've had my eye on it for quite some time, but then suddenly it went out of print and wasn't available through Amazon anymore, just used through Amazon Marketplace. Of course, the price went way down, so I bought it, and WOW! So much cool information. I bought each of us a Time Zero One Step Land Camera through Ebay last year, so now we both have the tools and the information we need.

In the book, it talks about peeling apart the integral film and scanning the inside of the back of the print while it's wet. Interestingly, what looks very bland has lots of color and texture when you manipulate it with some adjustment layers in Photoshop. The first square is the scan, the second is the scan with a Hues Adjustment Layer, and the third is a Curves Adjustment Layer on top of that. Very cool, huh?

I'm just beginning to experiment. The book recommends re-rinsing and then re-scanning the film--I've just done my second and third scans but haven't manipulated them at all. I'll post more when I do.

On a side note, velcro-girl is back at school today and I'm alone in the studio! I love my kids, but it sure is nice to be able to work alone. I have a school board meeting tonight--there's a rant coming on that, soon, whether this is an appropriate place for it or not. I see things out in the world of parenting that appall me, and you're all going to hear about it...

But for now, back to art.

No comments: