Search This Blog

Saturday, December 28, 2013

It's all about the story...

This piece actually sold a couple of months ago. It went to a very good home; someone who was very excited to take it home. That's always a good feeling on my part. In the last few months (since I did the Apple Festival, actually) I've met a dozen or so people who really 'get' my work. What a thrill.

Most recently a woman drove up to my house to pick up a pendant of one of my Instagram photos, and a set of coasters with the same photo on them. We talked about the materials that I use--how so many of my paintings begin with collage, how I use found objects in my jewelry--how every piece I make has a story--

When I first had my work in a gallery, I had to write my first "Artist Statement." Of course, I struggled with the entire process. It was HARD, and I didn't know what to say. Maybe a good sign is that the same process would not be nearly so hard now, four years later. But I have realized that some of what I said in that first awkward statement was absolutely, totally right on the nose. I wrote about how when I was little, I wanted to write books and tell stories. When my sister and our friend Vicki and I played, we played stories that we made up. When I read, it was all about immersing myself in the story. I'm still doing the same thing now, and I'm loving it.

My work, my materials, my art--it's all about the story...

5 comments:

denthe said...

I love this painting! the colours, the stark contrast between the white and the background, the figures. Beautiful.... It doesn't surprise me one bit that it was sold and that the person who bought it was very excited about it. And I agree with you: each painting has a story, even if you don't recognize that story in the beginning. At a certain point it will reveal itself to you. It's so great to be able to do this ....

Studio Kaufmann said...

I really like this painting too. The white lines against the dark background are very strong.Best of luck in 2014

Rita said...

I love the bold color. Congrats on the sale, even if it was a while ago. :) It's all about the story for me, too. Only I have never been good at making them up. Tried fiction writing in college and I guess I'm not that creative. I admire people who are and love fiction novels. :)

Ginny said...

I love this piece. The colors are so vibrant filled with energy. I love it when I see something that makes me feel something and this painting does. Someone is very lucky to be able to look at it each and every day.

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Beautiful piece! Flora's class was one of my favorites. It truly is the energy behind the painting that speaks to people. :) Wishing you a Happy New Year 2014!