Search This Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Art by Josie


These are two of Josie's paintings. The top one had what I call "a story" with it (with my own kids I found it much better to say, "Does this have a story?" than, "What is this?")--the story was "There are the mountains, and the water and at the bottom are bird trails, and there are birds flying in the sky, and the blue is a dragonfly but I didn't paint his wings."

The bottom one didn't have a story, although I think I can see a scene in it...

On the top piece, she told me (rather apologetically) "I traced around it with my pencil..."

I said, "That's okay, that just means it's a mixed media piece!" and then had to explain mixed media meant using more than just paint :)

When I say we left the watercolor supplies out, here's what I meant: I used tube watercolors in a palette with deep wells and then added maybe a tablespoon of water in each well. That took away the issue of needing to get pan paints wet enough to get vibrant color. Then we had a Mason jar of water with three paint brushes.

So the paint was always wet and watery. Every morning, I would just add a little bit more water--My only rule (I am not big on rules :) was "rinse your brush out when you change colors" and Josie was great with that. This made me a huge fan of tube watercolors for kids, as well as for adults who are learning to use watercolors!!!

7 comments:

carol l mckenna said...

Great idea ~ must give this a try ~ very creative ~ thanks, ^_^ (A Creative Harbor)

Giggles said...

What a wonderful creative teacher you are!! So sweet to have it there and available. It invites the muse to play!! I looked forward to seeing Josie's work!! Very nice!!

Hugs Giggles

Sandy Coleman said...

How smart you are in encouraging a budding artist with such a great question: Does this come with a story? I love that!

kat said...

Hello Karen, I love children's work, quite a favorite my way, the simplicity, primary colors, spontaneity, wonderful!

gina said...

So cute and colorful! Thanks for the tip on the watercolor tubes.

Lynn Cohen said...

Great teaching moment. Love the story and the non story one too.

In case I didn't comment on it already the watercolor below is exquisite.

Paula - Buenos Aires said...

I´m a story teller with a camera, you two are story tellers with brushes. :)
I love sharing art supplies with the kids (and camera batteries now too ;) )