Search This Blog

Friday, January 19, 2007

A New (to me) Way of Seeing


For the last couple of evenings I've been trying to work on my sketching, concentrating on the idea of drawing the negative space rather than the positive (so, for example, instead of drawing a bottle, I'm drawing the space around the bottle). While sitting down here in the studio tonight, I was thinking about how the concept of negative space completely changes the way I see, and remembered how my friend the art teacher said that learning to use value (lights and darks) in drawing was difficult for kids. I thought "What would be the equivalent of negative space for value?" since I have trouble with value as well. Then I thought--drawing with a white pencil on black paper--instead of laying down the dark areas, I'd being sketching in the light areas.

I'm sure this isn't a new idea, but I tried it and it's more difficult than it sounds. I think it's going to help me in my drawing--we'll see if my friend can use it to help kids learn more about value...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this is like using scratch board. I was never good at it - always aware of its cost and making a mistake. I'm better now about buying what I need for art, but I haven't tried scratch board in a very long time. Love the cheek bone in your lower right face - really really nice.