Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2007

A New Day


Well, momma goat seems to be doing okay--I emphasize the seems because even though I spent a good part of yesterday with my hand up inside her (!) I'm no expert--"I doan know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no babies, Miz Scarlett!"

She moved herself into the other section of the barn during the night, probably a 60 ft. walk, and she was dozing when I checked her first thing this morning--seemed alert when I rubbed her sides, but definitely did NOT want to get up. We had to pull the baby who was breech through before we could pull the one whose head was already out--it was awful and I'm so lucky Shelly was around--there were horrible bone-cracking sounds (yes, that's exactly what I mean), and I'm not sure I could have kept pulling. I'd like to think I would have, in order to save Gruffles, especially since I knew one baby was dead and the other probably was, too.

The day before yesterday, the neighbors' HORRIBLE german shepherds killed a cat (one of theirs, not ours, this time) and Jenny and I were the ones who saw they were playing something. So it's been a couple of days of death around here.

I was going to spend the morning making art and try to get back in the swing of things, but I'm having trouble getting started. The DH and I have an appointment this afternoon to try and deal with some financial issues, as money's been tight (I know, I know, isn't it always? Somedays I feel as though I should just give up on doing the at-home mom/artist thing and go back to teaching high school math and English. I did love teaching, but I know I wouldn't be able to give myself and my time up so completely to it as I did before I had kids--I want that energy to go to my kids. Is it selfish of me to not want another job on top of this most important one I have?)

Oh my. The studio's starting to warm up, so I guess I'll try to start working on something. It was in the low 20s last night, so things are pretty brisk here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

follow your heart. you already know the answer to your question.